Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Easy Breezy Vegetable Soup



Has it really been since February 12, 2013, that I have shared a recipe.  I do have an excuse--promise!  On February 13, 2013, I was at Institute and tripped on some chairs.  I caught my fall, but almost crushed one of the students.  When I came home, I decided to check myself to see if I might have bruised myself.  As I checked, I found a lump in my breast and you can guess the rest of the story.  I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and started chemotherapy on March 5, 2013.  I'm doing good and know it's in the Lord's hands.  In the meantime I do have lots of recipes to share.  Cancer can't stop me from cooking!  I'll start out with something a little healthy.  This is my sister's easy vegetable soup, and it is delicious.

Easy Breezy Vegetable Soup


1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
2 onions, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 package frozen lima/butter beans (I like the baby ones)
1 package frozen corn
1 package frozen cup up okra
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 cans water
2 beef bouillon cubes

Brown meat in a little oil.  Add onions.  Cook until onions are soft.  Add tomatoes and seasoning.  Add all the vegetables and 2 cans of water.  Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are done. (My sister simmers hers for about 1 1/2 hours.)

Serve with cornbread.  Also good served over rice.(You know us Southerners--we love rice!)

I personally did not like so much the corn. Mainly because corn doesn't like me :-)  I would only put in 1/2 the package of corn.  You could also add other veggies that your family might like.  It is really delicious soup and doesn't take much time to prepare.  Yes, I like quick and easy and this soup is both!




No comments:

Post a Comment