Friday, December 2, 2011

Marinated Braised Beef Brisket

Okay!  Okay!  I know you're tired of looking at the picture of my wheat pancakes.  So here is a recipe you can sink your teeth in.  Of course I got it from one of my favorite recipe books, The Pioneer Women Cooks.  I usually make my mom's brisket, but I decided to try Ree Drummond's braised brisket recipe and it was delicious.  My family really enjoyed it.  And so will you.  But be sure to plan ahead--brisket has to marinate at least 24 hours before cooking.

**I only cooked a 4 pound brisket so I halved the recipe. 

Marinated Braised Beef Brisket

2 cans beef consomme (not beef broth), 10.5 oz. cans
1 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
Juice of 2 lemons
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)  I didn't use this. 
1 brisket (7 - 10 pounds), untrimmed  I trimmed mine a little bit.  Can't stand all that fat.

In a roasting pan, combine the first 5 ingredients.  Place brisket in pan, fat side up.  Ladle some of the liquid on top.  Cover tightly with foil and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 24 - 48 hours.

When you're ready to make the brisket, put into a 300 degree oven and cook for about 40 - 50 minutes per pound.  When the meat is fork tender, place on a cutting board.  Cut away the slab of fat from the top of the meat.  Then slice against the grain.

Now, put the sliced meat back into the pan, juice and all.  Cover with foil and place in the oven to warm up.  Serve.

And as Lee Drummond says, "It's a major crowd pleaser!"

2 comments:

  1. looking lovely dish.hope taste as well.I try it today.
    Beef brisket recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really like it. Don't forget you marinate this at least 24 hours before you cook it. So plan ahead! Enjoy!

      Delete