Monday, May 16, 2011

South of the Border Dinner


Top

Bottom/Inverted

I tried this recipe because I knew my husband would like it.  My husband kept saying, "This has a real nice taste to it!", as he went back for seconds and thirds and . . .  Yep, I knew he'd like it.




South of the Border Dinner

1 - 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey (I made mine with turkey)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 box cornbread mix (I used Jiffy)

In a skillet cook meat until browned, stirring so it will be broken up.(I seasoned meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.)  Add onion and bell pepper and cook until soft.  Add tomato sauce, chili powder and salt.  Cook until mixture is heated.  Pour mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish ( I used a 11 x 7 dish).  Mix cornbread according to package directions.  Spread cornbread on top on mixture.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly browned.  Loosen side of pan with knife and invert onto platter.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment