Monday, March 21, 2011

Moma Toby's Chopped Liver

I know what you're thinking--GROSS!  But have you ever tried Chopped Liver?  Whenever the whole family gets together, my mom always makes chopped liver.  It is so delicious.  Honest!  Even family members who hate liver, love my mom's chopped liver.  I decided to try to make it this past Thanksgiving.  Mom didn't really have a recipe, but she told me how to make it.  I must admit it turned out scrumptious.  Of course mom doctored it up a little when she arrived at my home for Thanksgiving dinner.  She added a little more salt, a little more onion, sugar, etc.  Whatever she did, it was the best chopped liver we have ever had.  (Hope I've inherited "Mom's touch".)

Moma Toby's Chopped Liver

2-3 pounds chicken livers, rinsed well
2- 3 large onions, chopped
vegetable oil
8-10 hard boiled eggs
3 teaspoons sugar
3 or more teaspoons mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil rinsed livers in water.  Add a little salt to the water and boil until livers get tender/soft and well done (about 45 minutes).  Drain livers and rinse again.  Clean grit from the middle (where it connects--Mom says you'll know when you see it).

Saute onions (Mom says lots of onions) in oil (about 1/4 cup) until onions are soft and clear.  Add livers and saute some more.  Mash livers with a fork when done. 
(Poor mom, she never had food processors.  But I mashed them with a fork, because I always do what "mom says"--usually.)

Add hard boiled eggs. (Mom says about 3 - 4 per pound of liver.)  Mash together and add to liver mixture.

Add sugar. (Mom says about 1 teaspoon per pound of liver)
Add Mayo.  (Mom says about 1 teaspoon or more per pound of liver.)
Add salt to taste.
Add more raw onion and mix well.

Mom says to go by taste and add more salt, onion, mayo, sugar, etc.

Serve with crackers--Mom says!

**Best if made a day or two before you serve--Mom says and she's right!

No comments:

Post a Comment