Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jill's Summer Salad

Well, it's official--Summer is over!  Tomorrow is the first day of Fall.  I thought a great way to end summer would be with this delicious summer salad my friend Jill shared with me.  It's light and scrumptious, and I know you're going to love it.

Jill's Summer Salad

2 bags of spinach leaves or Spring Mix (I used the spring mix)
Small red onion, chopped
2 small cans of mandarin oranges, drained
Craisins

Put above ingredients into a large salad bowl.

Dressing
3/4  cup white vinegar
1 1/2 cups canola oil or olive oil (I used olive oil)
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup sugar

Blend dressing ingredients in a blender.  Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds.  Pour dressing over salad ingredients.  We also added some sliced almonds to the salad---mmmm, so good!

**This makes a ton of dressing!  I only used half of it or less, so I had enough to make another salad (I'm not complaining).  If you want to half the recipe, here are the measurements:
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
3/4 cup canola or olive oil
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoons dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 + 2 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds

When I made my 2nd salad (with the tons of dressing left over), I did not have spinach or spring mix.  So I used my romaine lettuce and it was just as delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment