Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chinese Hamburger Casserole/Slightly Oriental

Happy Groundhog Day! I decided to go through my old recipe box to look for recipes to try. You know, some of the best recipes are the ones my mom taught me or the ones friends shared with me many years ago when my children were young. When I read this recipe card in the box, my mouth started watering as I remembered how much I enjoyed this tasty dish. As a matter of fact, I have two recipes that are very similar so I included both. You choose.
Chinese Hamburger Casserole

1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can chow mein noodles

Brown meat and onion. Drain off fat. Add other ingredients except for the chow mein noodles.
Bake at 350, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake 20 minutes longer. Top with the chow mein noodles and bake 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and let sit about 5 - 10 minutes before serving.


Slightly Oriental

1 pound ground beef
3 cups diced celery
1 large onion
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can water chestnuts
1/2 cup rice uncooked
1 can (5 oz.) chow mein noodles

Brown meat. Add celery and onion. Saute until onions are golden brown or clear.
Mix everything together, except chow mein noodles and put in covered casserole dish.
Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes.
Remove cover the last 10 minutes and sprinkle chow mein noodles on top. Continue baking uncovered.

The first recipe is very good. The kids really like it because it doesn't have the celery and the water chestnuts. Now me--I love the celery and the water chestnuts. Again, it's your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment