Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Turkey Chili

Well, if it's "soup" weather, then it's "chili" weather, too. This a the chili recipe that Brandi's mom makes. I add more beans than Brandi's mom does, but it is basically the same recipe. My husband loves for me to make this chili because it is made with turkey rather than beef. He always says, "I don't eat red meat because it's not good for me." Now, ask my kids if that is true--that he doesn't eat red meat. NOT! We're glad he says he doesn't eat it because if he said he did eat it, we would never get any. But you can make this with beef instead of chicken. Either way, it's our favorite chili!

Turkey Chili

1 pound of ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 heaping Tablespoon chili powder
1 heaping teaspoon sugar
1 heaping teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 - 3 cans pinto beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can dark red kidney beans

Brown turkey (I add salt, pepper and garlic powder to the turkey) and onions. Then add everything except the beans and simmer for 1 hour. Add the beans and warm thoroughly. I drain the juice from one can of pinto beans and the can of light red kidney beans. I leave the juice in the other beans. I just don't want my chili too soupy.


**We like to eat the chili with corn bread. Now, my friend Verlene, has a great corn bread recipe. It's real buttery and sweet like a cake. I will plan to post it in the future. In the meantime, it's so easy just to pull out a box of Jiffy corn bread mix. Some days I'm lazy--just plain lazy! By the way, this Jiffy mix makes really good corn bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment