Saturday, October 10, 2009

Poppy Seed Salad and Dressing

Panera has the best Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad. I went a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to order one. Well, it has been taken off the menu--they only offer it during the summer. Man, what a bummer! I really wanted a salad with poppy seed dressing. Then I remembered I had a great recipe for Poppy Seed Salad and Dressing. I hate when I have those "senior moments", duh! Don't you forget to try this recipe!

Poppy Seed Salad and Dressing

Dressing:
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Put sugar, salt, mustard and vinegar in a small pot. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. (It does not need to come to a boil.) Put this mixture in a blender. Add the oil slowly and blend. Add poppy seeds and blend.

Salad:
Green leaf lettuce (I use Romain because it's my favorite lettuce)
Bacon bits (I cook my bacon and crumble it up)
Marinated broiled chicken (I marinate in soy sauce and broil0
Toasted sliced almonds (I coat pan with spray or butter and broil)
Shredded mozzarella cheese (I use packaged cheese not fresh)
Chopped green onion

I always set out all the salad ingredients (buffet style) and let everyone make their own salad. The dressing gets thicker as it cools. I like it warm or cold. You can store leftover dressing in the refrigerator. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed the poppy seed dressing all week on my salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment