Saturday, September 5, 2009

Mom's Potato Salad

My potato salad is must at your labor day celebration. Everyone raves about it and I hope you will enjoy it, too. My daughter-in-law does not like potato salad, but she loves mine--that's why it's called Mom's (rather than Nana's) Potato Salad.


Mom's Potato Salad

6 - 8 medium to large potatoes
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion ( or more if you like onion)
3 - 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 - 2 Tablespoons sweet pickle cubes
2 Tablespoons pickle juice
1/4 - 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 - 1 teaspoon mustard

Peel potatoes and cut into pieces. Put in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on medium low heat for about 30 - 40 minutes. Now the first secret here is the salt. Salt the water enough so that the potatoes will have a good taste when they finish cooking. Drain and set aside to cool a little.

In a large bowl put the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, pickles, pickle juice, mayo and mustard and mix together. The second secret is to put everything together while the potatoes are still a little warm. When the potatoes are warm they mash together a little bit and you don't have to use as much mayonnaise. Taste it and see if it needs salt. Add the salt if needed.



**My husband loves my potato salad, but he doesn't like the mayonnaise because he says it 's not healthy for him. So, we use Vegenaise with Grape Seed Oil (get it at a health food store) and it is delcious--plus it is healthier.

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely the best potato salad. I usually can't stand the stuff but I love this!!!

    Mom you need to post your spaghetti recipe, another food item I never liked until I had yours. love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely the only potato salad my whole family enjoys. It’s magic!

    ReplyDelete