Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Nana's Deviled Eggs

When it comes to food, I always have lots of requests from my grandkids. Would you believe deviled eggs is one of their favorites? My grandkids here in Utah raise their own chickens, so they were anxious for me to fix my deviled eggs with their chicken eggs. I really don't do much to the eggs--my husband thinks they are plain--but the kids love them and I do too! If you like hard boiled eggs you will love them, too. Here's what you do:

First, boil the amount of eggs you want to make. I always boil the eggs in salted water for 10 minutes. Then I rinse them in cold water and peel them. (Hint: The older the eggs, the better they peel. Don't you just hate to peel hard boiled eggs and all the white comes off? Also, there is a thin layer of skin right under the shell and if you make sure you are peeling that away from the egg it helps, too.)

After the eggs are peeled, cut in half (lengthwise) and take out the yellow and put in a small bowl. Put the whites on a plate.

Mash the yellows with a fork and add mayonnaise to make them somewhat creamy. Be careful though, not too much mayo. For a dozen eggs, I'd start with about 1 heaping tablespoon of mayo and add by teaspoonfuls until the texture is right. Add salt to taste.

Finally, put about a teaspoon of yellow into the white and sprinkle lightly with paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment