Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nana's Butter (Lima) Beans

Butter beans, lima beans--whatever you call them (I guess butter beans is a southern thing)--I always get raves on how good they are. Since they are part of "the meal" mentioned in my last post, I knew I needed to share my secret of delicious lima beans every time. Sugar! Yes, sugar. Here is how to make them:

Nana's Butter (Lima) Beans

1 package frozen baby lima beans or petite lima beans (do not use the large lima beans)
1 piece bacon (uncooked)
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons sugar

Put frozen baby lima beans in a pan and cover with water. I take out any beans that look bruised or browned. Sometimes the skin of a few of the beans will float to the top--I take those out, too. Salt and pepper to taste. Add a piece of uncooked bacon and the sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat for about 45 minutes or more until beans are tender. Add more salt or sugar if needed. Remove bacon and serve.


Sometimes if I have leftover butter beans, I add a can of corn nibblets and make succotash.

No comments:

Post a Comment