Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baked Ham

My family loves when I make a ham for dinner. They just think it is the best ham they have ever eaten. I always use a Hormel Cure 81 Ham. (Watch for when they go on sale at the grocery store.) I don't follow all of the directions on the ham exactly as written. Here's what I do:

Put aluminum foil large enough to cover the ham in a baking pan. Add 1/2 cup water and put ham, largest cut surface face down, on the foil in the pan. Cover the ham securely with the foil and begin baking at 325 for about 30 minutes. It says to bake 20 minutes per pound, but I turn the oven down to 300 and bake about 30 - 40 minutes per pound. About 15 minutes before the ham is done, I mix 1/2 cup of light brown sugar and 1 - 2 tablespoons of orange juice and pour over the ham. I wrap the ham back up in foil and continue to cook. When done I spoon the juice over the ham and baste it really well and cook for about 5 more minutes. (You can keep the ham open and let it brown a little if you like.)

Then I take the ham out of the oven, pour off the juice, wrap it back in the foil and let it sit until ready to slice and serve.

Man, I thought this would be an easy recipe to share, but it was hard trying to tell you what I do. I hope this is not too confusing. Try it and give me your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment